xwiki production ready?

Yves Langisch
All,

I have a few questions concerning the readiness of xwiki for production:

- how 'production-ready' is xwiki in the actual version?
- are there any known issues which can affect the production (load,
leaks, ...)?
- there are links which generates a stack trace (e.g.
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Mai ) . Is there a way to define a
general error page so that any stack trace is caught by this page (and
can be hidden)?

Thanks
Yves

Re: xwiki production ready?

David V. Kocher
I suppose the exception.vm template is the place to define what
should appear on a error page. Still, on my own install of xwiki
(same version 0.9.840) it defaults to create a new page of an URL
such as /bin/view/NonExistentPage. What is the expected behavior? It
would be nice to be able to define a page template for references to
non existent articles (as in many other wikis, e.g. mediawiki >
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NonExistantPage )

~dk

On 26.09.2005, at 09:58, Yves Langisch wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a few questions concerning the readiness of xwiki for
> production:
>
> - how 'production-ready' is xwiki in the actual version?
> - are there any known issues which can affect the production (load,
> leaks, ...)?
> - there are links which generates a stack trace (e.g.
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Mai ) . Is there a way to define a
> general error page so that any stack trace is caught by this page (and
> can be hidden)?
>
> Thanks
> Yves
>

> --
> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-
> wws

new registration with always authenticate on viewing

Lichman, Mark Eugene
I've noticed that activating the always authenticate on viewing feature in the
XWiki preferences prevents unregistered users from accessing all pages,
including the registration page. Is there a way to hide content from uregistered
users and allow new users to register?

Thanks
- Mark Lichman

Re: xwiki production ready?

Hi Yves,

Yves Langisch wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a few questions concerning the readiness of xwiki for production:
>
> - how 'production-ready' is xwiki in the actual version?

XWiki is used in production on xwiki.com and by Mandriva on the Mandriva
Club http://club.mandriva.com
Both sites have significant daily page views..

> - are there any known issues which can affect the production (load,
> leaks, ...)?

This is highly dependent on your usage.. But a web site with not that
many pages will have most wiki pages loaded in cache and will work
fine.. The main thing that is important is to have sufficient RAM on
your production machine..

For very heavy loads, clustering might be an option for higher
availability.. We are still working on the clustering capabilities though..

> - there are links which generates a stack trace (e.g.
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Mai ) . Is there a way to define a
> general error page so that any stack trace is caught by this page (and
> can be hidden)?

As it was said.. exception.vm is the place to do that..
Other cases of errors pages might need some slight changes in the code..

> Yves

Re: new registration with always authenticate on viewing

For this you need to not use the "always authenticate on viewing" and
restrict viewing on particular areas (spaces, pages) using "view" rights..
You can also put a "view" right in the XWiki Rights and override these
rights in specific Document Right (XWiki.RegisterNewUser,
XWiki.XWikiUsers, XWiki.MySkin)

Ludovic

Lichman, Mark Eugene wrote:

> I've noticed that activating the always authenticate on viewing feature in the
> XWiki preferences prevents unregistered users from accessing all pages,
> including the registration page. Is there a way to hide content from uregistered
> users and allow new users to register?
>
> Thanks
> - Mark Lichman

Re: xwiki production ready?

dcoonich

Club http://club.mandriva.com is a very nice looking site.  I want to learn
how to modify the look so what do I read?  I have my own xwiki install to
learn on so all I need is to learn how to modify the look (skins?).  Is the
look you have all accomplished via skins only?

Kind Regards,
Dennis

On Monday 26 September 2005 02:07 pm, Ludovic Dubost wrote:

> Hi Yves,
>
> Yves Langisch wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I have a few questions concerning the readiness of xwiki for production:
> >
> > - how 'production-ready' is xwiki in the actual version?
>
> XWiki is used in production on xwiki.com and by Mandriva on the Mandriva
> Club http://club.mandriva.com
> Both sites have significant daily page views..
>
> > - are there any known issues which can affect the production (load,
> > leaks, ...)?
>
> This is highly dependent on your usage.. But a web site with not that
> many pages will have most wiki pages loaded in cache and will work
> fine.. The main thing that is important is to have sufficient RAM on
> your production machine..
>
> For very heavy loads, clustering might be an option for higher
> availability.. We are still working on the clustering capabilities though..
>
> > - there are links which generates a stack trace (e.g.
> > http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Mai ) . Is there a way to define a
> > general error page so that any stack trace is caught by this page (and
> > can be hidden)?
>
> As it was said.. exception.vm is the place to do that..
> Other cases of errors pages might need some slight changes in the code..
>
> Ludovic
>
> > Thanks
> > Yves

Re: xwiki production ready?

Ludovic Dubost

Yes 90% is customizable via skins.. 9% via wiki pages.. and 1% probably
needs to go in the java code..
Skins contain CSS and templates.. With your own install:

1/ create a directory next to skins/default for example "skins/dennis"
2/ Copy files from templates in it
3/ Copy files from skins/default
4/ Start modifying

You don't need to copy all files, but only the one you want to modify.
To test your skin add "?skin=dennis" behind your URL
To turn on you skin go in the XWiki Preferences and put "dennis" in the
skin field

You wiki uses by default a skin put in the Wiki, in XWiki.MySkin..
It is an alternate way to work on skins

Ludovic