[xwiki-users] New Skins work

Ludovic Dubost

Hi All,

I'm working right now on new skins both for XWiki.com wikis and the open
source XWiki.

In the process, the structure of the main templates has been simplified
to handle 2 columns by default. We plan to reintroduce the third column
later. We also plan to add an easy system to choose colors for your skin
using "color schemes" in the XWiki preferences.

I'd like to start a discussion about which is the best skin for the
default wikis on xwiki.com and in the open source wiki, as well as which
one is the best skin for the xwiki.org web site. XWiki.com will have a
different skin which is going to be "business oriented", which we could
also use for XWiki.org.

You'll find links to the skins on
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Dev/Skins
The three new skins are Sinorca, Blue, Wikipedia
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Dev/Skins/SinorcaSkin.gif
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Dev/Skins/BlueSkin.gif
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Dev/Skins/WikipediaSkin.gif

The other 2 skins are a little older:
Business: http://pause-java.com/xwiki/previews/business/800_600.jpg
ModernBlue: http://pause-java.com/xwiki/previews/modern-skin/800.jpg

We are also interested in feedback about the business skin:
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Dev/Skins/XWikiComBusinessSkin.gif

Let us know what you think. The number one objective is deciding for a
default skin for Wikis and the skin for XWiki.org.

New button urgently needed

Jim Stuttard-3
Hi and happy NY all,

Thierry has already dealt with my major issue with XWiki adoption in his
ergonomics paper. The lack of a New button is a complete show stopper.

I. IIR~C:
Current User Story
1. Decide to write a note
2. Hit Edit Page on current page I'm viewing
3. Type link to new page in current-page edit-mode
4. Save page
5. Hit link to new page
6. Enter content for new page
7. Save new page

Alternate
3a. Optionally decide on new parent for new page and enter new parent in
text box
3b. Navigate to new parent
3c. Hit edit page
3d. Enter new link to created page
3e. Save page
8. Navigate to original parent page
9. Hit Edit Page
10. Delete link to created page
11. Save

I know you know all this but I think it's worth describing the problem in
ordinary language. There is no way to create a new page without editing an
existing one which offers you a (I claim mostly unwanted and
incorrect)default current page as parent. We don't write in hierarchically
organised chunks pages or paragraphs.

I don't know about other people but I get the need to take a note of
whatever. How I classify it is a secondary
thought (I'm not Mozart who allegedly could perfect everything in his head
before setting quill to parchment).

I suppose one possible alternative story might be:
1. Hit New button
2. Enter contents
3. Enter tags
4. Save

II. I think this also brings up the implicated issue of hierarchical
namespaces and search and tagging strategies.
But I'll compose another post on that.

XWiki will be great this year. (Can I buy shares in Xprtnet :)?)

In friendship

Jim

--
Jim Stuttard